Engineering and Design Manager Position
Purpose and Scope
- The position will oversee the design, engineering, tooling, and development of new boat models, and the Production Engineering support of current models.
- This position oversees the Manufacturing/Production Engineering Team, and works in conjunction with the Design Engineering Team.
- Develop ‘best practices’ yacht production process for maximum efficiency to meet our business goals and projections.
- Provide guidance and direction on all new product development.
- Ensure that the Bills of Material are complete for new products prior to releasing the project to Production.
- Develop and manage design process between our operations, team leaders, and outside designers.
- Create project design and engineering schedules.
- Work with Operations and Design Teams in sourcing and creation of third party/vendor parts.
- Partner with the management team to achieve short- & long-term goals and objectives. Supply regular feedback.
- Drive accountability and ‘ownership’ for daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly process to the station leaders, and each employee.
- Assist with developing the new production lines and stations along with best practices.
- Develop material and sub-assembly kitting plan to meet station needs.
- Manage available resources effectively and prudently.
- Regular communication and reporting with the team, outside designers and third-party vendors.
- Review all documentation, fixtures, ECN Process.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong Engineering skills
- Process improvement
- Excellent organizational and tracking skills
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Gant charts)
- Advanced skill in 3D modeling and drafting (Rhino, AutoCAD)
Employee Recruitment, Training, Motivation & Management
- Build a company culture of productivity, performance, and timely completion.
- Create a sense of urgency.
- Sports team performance atmosphere, where everyone knows their zones, and coordinates with each other on the field of play.
- Goal is each employee knows what they need to do on any given day.
- Measure productivity and continually improve. Use Kaizen or Six Sigma as cultural basis for all employees.
- Bi-annual review of all reporting staff, or more often if needed.
- Prompt, professional and friendly handling of the MJM team and network.
- Company preference is to hire and promote locally based employees. Exceptions may be granted by the management team if justified.
- Daily plan to meet daily progress versus the plans.
- Continuous improvement in how we operate.
- Job may require work outside of office hours to keep up.
- Leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to perform under pressure.
- Good analytical and organizational skills with ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Communicate tasks and goals with management and fellow workers with follow through to completion.
- Investigate and solve problems.
- Support team & staff members and the Company.
- Cooperation and collaboration with team members.
- Consistency in being positive, creative and accountable.
- Follow projects through to completion with a sense of urgency.
For inquiries, Contact Brenda Hawkins, Human Resources
Tel: (252) 644-6001
Please download and complete this Job application form (PDF), and upload it along with submitting the form below: